Today was a day like any other. Forrest and I had a lesson
scheduled today! It was our first dressage lesson. Forrest has been doing
wonderfully and I decided that it was time to try something new. We were both
getting a bit burnt out in the Jumper ring and what better new adventure than trying
eventing! At the beginning of the month, Forrest and I had gone school to Wavertree
Farm for their last cross country schooling. While Forrest was a bit
apprehensive about some of the fences he took to it like a champ and was ever
so grateful for his buddy to accompany him. He jumped up and down banks, across
stone walls, over trees, gates, houses, benches, barrels and his ever favorite
ditches. Okay so maybe the ditches were his favorite and he still today thinks
the horse boogieman lives in them, but he went over them regardless!
The Bank
The Stonewall
The Bench
The Dreaded Ditch
We had a lot of fun and because of this I decided to start
doing some dressage training and thus our lesson today. Forrest came into the
barn and I had noticed his left front swollen. A couple months ago, Forrest had
a run in with one of the metal gates and we had thought he had won.
Unfortunately it was not so. Forrest leg was hot and swollen
and when I tacked him up and moved him around to trot he was lame. Luckily my
trainer was there and we immediately decided to call the vet. Our local vet
came out to check on Forrest and we ended up doing an ultra sound. The
diagnosis at the time was not pretty. I was told that Forrests check ligament
was in terrible shape and there also appeared to be a tear in his suspensory.
His entire leg was swollen. Forrest was immediately put on 24/7 stall rest for
the next 4 months. I was devastated. Forrest was having a stellar year; he had
earned three qualifications for the $1,500 Jumper Stakes class at the
Thoroughbred Shows and multiple champion ribbons. Due to his injury, Forrest
was out for the rest of the year.
Not a very happy ending to what started out as a good day L







No comments:
Post a Comment