Well were about half way through December and Forrest is moving right along. The periods of unseasonable warm days, 70 degree ones, did not help his progress at all. Since there is some edema left in his leg it will flare up on warm days. This is both good in bad. Good because it breaks up the fluid which allows us to break it down and out, however bad because our progress moves slower as we are being cautious when the leg gets bigger. Last week I started at 10 minutes and added 2 minutes every day thereafter. Unfortunately by Thursday we had to stop and continue doing 16 minutes through the weekend. While I understand the process and why, it was still very frustrating.
According to our original time line, which I know is subject to change; we were supposed to be trotting by the first full week in December. With the heat it has slowed us down considerably. The goal is to have him ready, SAFELY, for the March 2012 horse show and compete in hunters/jumpers up to 2’6/7. While the TCHS is most definitely in the picture we also had about 6 weeks to accommodate and “setbacks” and still be on schedule. Well now we are down to four weeks HOWEVER Forrest’s leg has bounced back and with the streak of super cold weather he will be ready to trot by the 17th! So looking good.
I have been told that most of the strengthening of the ligaments and tendons is created during the walk where it is safer and easy to judge. We took an extra two weeks at the walk to make extra sure his leg is ready for the next phases: trotting and cantering. These two phases, while will also strengthen the ligaments, are more for fitness and not overdoing the leg with gradually building his muscle and fitness level then just tossing him back in. We don’t want to strain the leg too much until its fitness matches Forrest. Forrest is still sound with no flexion reaction or palpitation reaction. Though he will move his leg for the daily DMSO application…but I don’t blame him!
While walking Forrest we notice that his hind is a bit stiff
and sore and luckily for him we got him a massage that lasted and hour and a
half Wednesday! I swear this horse has had everything: acupuncture,
chiropractic work, messages, etc. and what do I get…nothing! On top of it all he also got an early christmas gift and I purchases a back on track pad that I can ride in so it will help his muscles as we go! Forrest is accumulating
some serious bills, he better get better and start earning money back! J
While adding two minutes every day is slow, it means progress. I will admit that I have become VERY frustrated on Tuesday when it just seemed that Forrest was progressing or going anywhere. The weather was warm; we had to hold back, etc. It wasn’t anyone’s fault, but I just felt defeated and at that point wanted to give up, toss him out in the field and see him again in a year. While that wouldn’t hurt him, at the same time I know that his rehab is just as important for him and as much as I really wanted to just give up, a big part of me wouldn’t (THANK YOU BIG PART).
While adding two minutes every day is slow, it means progress. I will admit that I have become VERY frustrated on Tuesday when it just seemed that Forrest was progressing or going anywhere. The weather was warm; we had to hold back, etc. It wasn’t anyone’s fault, but I just felt defeated and at that point wanted to give up, toss him out in the field and see him again in a year. While that wouldn’t hurt him, at the same time I know that his rehab is just as important for him and as much as I really wanted to just give up, a big part of me wouldn’t (THANK YOU BIG PART).
I will say that I have noticed a big difference in Forrest.
This taking things slow thing has REALLY helped with his focusing and framing.
At this point, he doesn’t bulge his shoulder out anymore, he stays consistently
in a frame and pushes from behind, and a lot less fuss in general. This slow
approach I know will make us even better! We don’t have to relearn everything,
but I think it in itself will push us farther than when he injured himself.So all in all things are going well. We talk our “track” every day and continuing adding our 2 minutes. While Forrest I know is probably bored out of his mind, he is being good. I will say he got some excitement yesterday when he decided that Lilly, the barn kitty, was going to EAT him when she walked out of the barn. That was fun! Nothing like no stirrups and your horse jumping 10 feet to the left out of fear of being eaten…but what can I say, it wouldn’t be Forrest otherwise!
We did end the week with a photo op with his "brother" Indy. I had purchased him an OTTB blue Ribbon that supports After the Finish Line and Forrest, these things are starting to get to his head, got one as a gift as well. So I took both ribbons and both boys and "made" them share some space and take some pictures! What good boys!






No comments:
Post a Comment