Tuesday, November 27, 2012

My Turn!


It’s Monday! Okay so most people aren't that excited when it’s Monday but I am! Why? Well because we have hit the point where I can ride Forrest in his rehab! J So obviously super excited!

I was pretty impatient all day and it felt like work was taking forever to get through, of course. But the time had finally arrived! Forrest leg was a little bigger than the day before but considering it swells with the heat and it was nearly 60 degrees today we weren't concerned, and even swollen it barely looked noticeable! While I fed the horses I let Forrest bake in his stall for a bit to loosen up his hip. His hind end is getting better, but since we know it is an issue I just always warm it up with his Back on Track blanket before we ride. I think Forrest knew it was time; he gave me that look and was a good boy about saddling up!

I only got to ride him for about 5 minutes but was told to get him to push from behind, frame up and to work on some leg yielding, in small amounts, to strengthen both hind end and leg! He was fantastic and it felt so good to be back on him again, very normal and very much home! With the weather tomorrow it will be rainy and cold which will be great for “icing/hosing” his leg for 24 hours. But I plan to be in the tack rain or shine tomorrow for our 6 minutes of work. We plan on adding a minute every day for the first week and go from there. But he is doing exceedingly well and walking with no issues. We are focusing right now more at the walk than other gaits to be sure he is strong. The stronger we can make his tendon at the walk the better we will be through the trotting and cantering phases!

I am just happy to be home back in the saddle on my boy!

Well Forrest leg was still covered in his random scratches, tick bites, and cuts so I took him to the wash rack and scrubbed his leg and cleared it of all the scabs. However, while in the wash rack it gave Forrest ample opportunity to see the “Aliens” as he thought of them. We it definitely helped with picking scabs as he didn't care much and was focused on the ponies, Jewels and Patches. So since Forrest was obviously curious about these little things I took him over to meet them. Jewels and him were fine and he had no problems with her, however he nearly bolted when Patches and him touched noses. To make matters even funnier was that Patches also had his muzzle on him. I imagine he would look slightly not normal! Poor Forrest looked like he was ready to have a heart attack with what he was seeing.


After a quick meet, I walked him back to the barn where he could decompress from his visit and go be a horse again snug in his rug!












No comments:

Post a Comment