Well today Forrest was scheduled to have his 6 week
ultrasound scan done to see how his progress has been going. Living in the town
that I do, word gets out and unfortunately it also gets around. I as a horse
person understand that if you ask the same question to 3 different horse people
you will end up with three totally different answers. None of them are wrong,
but different and meaningful to that person. So while learning all I can about Forrest’s
situation or just being a better horse person in general I take that to heart
and do not criticize anyone’s answers, unless of course it is bad for the horse,
but I guess even then it’s not my business and not my horse.
I had to stop updating people on Facebook of
Forrest progress or how we were handling his injury. Some were nosy enough
to stick their noses where they don’t belong and make it known that we are
doing everything wrong, permanently damaging my horse, etc. So due to this “outrage”
I no longer even post pictures or updates about Forrest online. It’s none of
their business and at the end of the day I sleep well at night because I know
that my horse is in the best care and getting better.
So the vet we used came out to scan. My trainer,
who is an experience horse person and has dealt with racehorses and their injuries
for many many years, took a look at the first set of scans and was thrilled
with them, if one could be. She said that it wasn't bad and she knew exactly
what to do and how to do it. So since the beginning we have had a routine that has
obviously been proven right. The swelling was drastically down; Forrest had been
turned out a week by this point and sound for 3 weeks. He didn't react to any
palpitations and probably did every move in the book when turned out, yep I mean
bucking, rearing, galloping, etc., and remained sound (and no these movements were not planed and not happily looked upon). Yay!
The vet starts by looking at the suspensory. In the first
scan, the suspensory measured 2.99 cm. The vet told me that normal for a horse
is 2 cm so we had a ways to go. The vet did not at that time scan his good leg for a
comparison but did it this time. Lo and behold Forrest does not fit
normal…shocker. Forrest’s “normal” for his suspensory is 2.42 cm and the
measurement of his second scan was 2.74 cm. Yay this is great news. However the vet then compared the picture of each, right and left leg, and realized that they looked very similar. The left leg should have shown a tear, but it was basically identical to the right minus the swelling. The vet then second guessed the original diagnosis and questioned me about old injuries, which I only knew
he had a cold bow. The vet then was curious if the injury was old or new since the leg was similar, but was unable to tell.
Next we moved onto the check ligament. Comparing the two
pictures it was evident the swelling was down and the dark grey area, which I
was told was the torn area, was lighter in color. But as the vet looked at the ligament
I was told was bad, real bad and that it was basically blown and that
Forrest needed to remain on stall rest for another 6-9 months on top of his 4
months.
During this evaluation the vet did not know that Forrest had
been turned out or that he had been sound for 3 weeks. The vet did not palpitate
the leg or flex him to see how he was. By the end of the evaluation, the vet
was flustered and gave me the impression they really didn't know what to say. I was annoyed with the visit since I am spending money on a scan in order to know what to do with my horse
and the vet couldn't tell me what was old or new and was constantly comparing Forrest
to what was normal, which he has proven quite well he isn't.
I bit my tongue and say my fair wells to the vet. But inside
I was steaming. I was so mad. I understand that the vet was fairly new and lacked experience in this injury, but I would have appreciated and respected them more if I was
just told I don’t know but let me consult with someone else. I have come to know that every vet, doctor, etc has a specialized area. They are particularly good at one thing while not at another. It doesn't mean they are a bad vet and this is why you find most vet practices have multiple vets to encompass all areas of expertise. I will continue to use the vet, but this is not their specialty and that is fine. This is why we have second opinions.
Regardless of the vet visit, my trainer and I decided to
keep doing what we are doing. She took a look at the scans and was thrilled
with them. There were fibers everywhere and no black holes, but you could see
where some fibers were stretched. I would take that any day to a lesion. Well
Forrest happily went back out into the field and we continued our plan to keep
cold hosing/icing and using the liniment and furicin and recently starting
using DMSO as well.
Leg on August 29, 2012 Leg on October 9, 2012
At the end of the day I knew what I needed to do and it was time for a second opinion. Luckily my trainer is friends with a vet on the track and she was able to get him to see the scans. Now to wait and hear what the second opinion has to say


No comments:
Post a Comment