Monday, October 8, 2012

Blessings come in many forms....


So while I still am upset about Forrest and what happened, it’s funny how things work. There is always a plan and a reason for everything I believe. Forrest has been happy back with his friends and still constantly improving. However while I may not be able to ride Forrest, I have been able to start a mare that’s ready for her new career. Sparkling Halo, or Halo, has been at the farm since Aug 2010. She belongs to my trainer and is a sales horse and my trainer nicely offered me to ride her while Forrest was recovering. So Halo and I have been spending the better half of last month learning each other and getting back into shape. There have been a few disagreements along the way, but she is coming along so beautifully that we are taking her to the November 2012 Thoroughbred Celebration Show! This will be her first experience in just about every facet. First travelling away from home, first overnight (3 days) show, and first time showing!

Halo is a fancy little thing and definitely loves the attention and learning new things. I am lucky to be at a farm that I can do this. No only have a horse to ride, but take a green horse from beginning to end and learn. Forrest was green when I got him, but training him was much different than Halo. Forrest was a pleaser and wanted to learn but it had to be suggested not told. Halo is much different. While she likes to figure things out in her time, she also trusts you in what you are teaching her. She basically said why not doesn't hurt to give it a try. Once she does it she remembers and no more issues. So we have been blowing through flat work wonderfully.

Halo enjoying the attention


Another good news is that my older thoroughbred that has been living on the other side of the mountain, the farm in which I took Forrest to gain his weight and get healthy, was moving back home! I had visited him last weekend and played with him in the round pen and being 25 years old I have never seen a happier horse bucking and running around as I did him. With a spot available at the farm, I knew Indy wasn't happy being retired and wanted something to do! So it is planned to move him home and get his but back in shape and if all goes well maybe another participant at the Thoroughbred Celebration Show!

Strutting his stuff in the round pen! Not bad for a 25 year old.



No comments:

Post a Comment