Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Old Man Arrives!


Today was the day! Indy gets to move back to my barn and be with his big brother Forrest! It was a cold morning and I got to Indy’s barn around 7:45AM to pack him up, load him up and drive out. I think Indy was quite confused. I loaded all his things, which wasn't much, into the trailer and left him for last. I walked down to his paddock which he was standing there waiting for me. It was a big to do at the barn, there was a horse trailer that drove in and all the horses were anxiously waiting at the gates trying to figure out what was going on. Was someone coming off the trailer? Or was someone leaving?

I met Indy at his gate and slipped his halter on. He was fresh and in a happy mood. As I walked him back to the barn he started tossing his head and bunny hopping, basically being fresh, as we walked to the trailer. I couldn't punish him so I lengthen my hold on the lead rope and let him “play.” Once we walked by the trailer and stood in cross-ties Indy knew what was going on, and it was that someone new was coming it was that he was getting ON that thing! Indy is a good loader but a terrible traveler. I think he believes that every time he steps on the trailer he leaves for a new place with a new person. Why you may ask? Let me give you a brief history on Indy.




Most kids when graduating high school want a car for a gift so they can drive. Me not so much, I wanted a horse. So with the help of some friends and local horse listings I found Indy near Richmond. Ironically enough, I swore the last thing I wanted was a chestnut. They seemed common and you just saw them EVERYWHERE! I wanted a black, grey, or especially a paint. I wasn't breed loyal yet, this was my first “big” horse of my own. I can’t still remember the first visit with Indy. It had rained the day before so the ring, which was red clay, was unusable so there was a small area of grass I could ride. We tacked him up and walked him around and he was good. I remember trotting him around and thinking that I didn't like him because his stride was so big!

Now the only time prior to searching for my own horse, I rode 2 weeks out of the year at summer camp. My favorite camp horse was a 15H Morgan named Brewster. So you can see why I would think Indy, a thoroughbred, had a BIG stride.

I couldn't canter him or jump him so the owners wanted me to come back another day when the ring was dry. I have no idea why, especially since I wasn't thrilled with him as it was, but my mom and I agreed to come back and try again in a couple days.

A week later we made the trip back to Indy and gave it another go. The trot was the same but when I asked him to canter I was surprised to find that he also started BUCKING!!! So I rode through it and he stopped and kept going. He reacted the same way in the other direction but definitely not as bad and only did it once. I was definitely not thrilled but I almost took it as a challenge as well. I know it wasn't my horse, but I also didn't want him to think he could get away with it…bad horsemanship! So we smoothed out the canter and I felt a bit better. Next was jumping.

They didn't have anything overly decorated but they made a trot fence with 2 strides than a vertical. I was told that this horse was used for the owners’ daughter, who was 11 at the time, and taught her to ride. Internally I was surprised. Here is this bucking horse. Either the girl can ride ANYTHING now or the reason they are selling the horse was due to his reaction and not because she lost interest. So Indy and I start trotting over the little x and he tossed in a mild buck on the landing side but nothing bad, and I had kind of expected it. So we moved onto the combination and that little sucker would run out no matter what I did.  He would gladly do the first fence but not the second. So challenge #2: get horse over the fences! Well I succeeded after a while and he went over both.

So most people at this point wouldn't have given him the time of day after bucking at the canter let alone running out and bucking after fences, but something about him tugged at my heart and I looked at my mom and said he’s the one. I’m pretty sure she was shocked. But being that this was our first experience buying a horse with no trainer, she agreed and Indy was coming home with us.

It has been an interesting experience with him. Indy had severe trust issues. The first day in the barn when I had him in cross-ties and was grooming his face he got scared and reared knocking me over and under him along with hitting his head on the loft, breaking the cross-ties and bolting out the barn. I then spent the next couple months doing baby work. Indy had a fear of his head being tied down. So I started outside grooming him with the lead rope over the fence so when he moved it moved with him. We progressed into the barn and did the same thing. Then by late winter I was finally able to connect him to one cross-tie  that now had bungees on them, and by spring we were in two with no issues. During this time I was also trying to get Indy ready for Sweet Briar and hoping he would get accepted!

Arrival

Learning to trust

Training for SBC



Indy got accepted, through drama of its own, he made it by the second semester.  At SBC, we learned a lot about each other and grew as a team. We started in the hunters, than the jumpers, then the hunter trails field and cross country type schooling. We bother graduated and continued to compete in the local hunter show, hunter paces. He eventually became a lesson horse and took many kids through short stirrup to win champion ribbons for the kids.
Hunters at SBC

Hunter Trails at SBC

Hunter Trails at SBC


Four Oaks 2008

Four Oaks 2008

Four Oaks 2009


I got Indy in September 2000. According to his jockey papers the poor boy was bought and sold 14 times in his 13 years of life by 2000. For obvious reasons and not so obvious reasons, Indy came to me with serious trust issues and skepticism over everything.

Okay okay so maybe his history wasn't so brief, but I love my old man dearly and so excited for him to finally be with me. When he arrived at the farm, the horses were happy to see him. Forrest definitely remembered who he was and they nuzzled each other over the fence. Indy will remain in the injury paddock for the day while everyone adjusts to him and will be turned out tonight to join the herd.

Together Again
  

No comments:

Post a Comment